Graduate Student FAQ and Websites

no image available

Frequently Asked Questions for applying to graduate studies in programs of Agricultural and Biological Engineering and Technical Systems Management

GPA and Testing Requirements

Q: What is the minimum grade point average considered for admission and financial aid?
A: The University's Graduate College enforces minimum GPAs of 3.0 for M.S. admittees and 3.25 for Ph.D. admittees. Successful applicants typically have a GPA higher than the required minimum. Fellowship applicants typically have a GPA of 3.6/4.0.

Q: Are any tests required?
A: Yes. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test is required of all applicants. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS is also required of all applicants who have attended a school in a country where English is not the primary language. This test must be less than two years old at the time of admission. For more information, consult the language requirements page.

Q: What GRE scores are needed for admission to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign?
A: While there is no official minimum requirement, the Admissions committee looks for Quantitative GRE scores above the 80th percentile and Verbal and Analytical GRE scores above the 50th percentile, or an overall score above the 60 percentile. GRE scores should be less than three years old at the time of admission.

Deadlines and Timelines

Q: What is the deadline for applicants to be considered for admission and financial aid?
A: The application deadline is January 15 for fall admission. Applicants are strongly urged to submit their applications and supporting documents as early as possible to allow for time to review your application and notify you of any missing documentation.

Q: When are admission and financial aid decisions made?
A: The Admissions Committee begins reviewing files in January and usually makes final decisions by the end of March. The financial aid decision is typically made at the same time, although a few applications are typically held for later decisions.

Application Materials

Q: Where do I send application materials and application codes?
A: Applications should be submitted on-line through the Apply Yourself application system. The Institution Code is 1836 and the Departmental Code is "00" or "0000".

Information can also be found by consulting the Application Process page.

Graduate College

Graduate College Student Handbook

Campus Websites

University of Illinois

Student Self-Service

Student Insurance

McKinley Health Center

Technology Services

International Student and Scholar Services

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts

Other Websites

Daily Illini

Illini Sports

Champaign County Convention and Visitors Bureau